Supporters from Campaign Against Arms Trade (CAAT) are taking part in the annual Day of Prayer on 20 June. This event marks the beginning of CAAT's Stop Week, when the organisation's supporters take part in co-ordinated action across the UK to end the international arms trade.
The focus is on ending taxpayer support for UKTI DSO (UK Trade & Investment Defence & Security Organisation), the UK government's arms sales department. The Day of Prayer is organised by CAAT's Christian Network, a non-denominational group of Christians opposed to the arms trade.
CAAT has produced a Day of Prayer Pack which includes:
- a giant UKTI DSO Demolition Order poster and postcard
- suggestions for worship, including prayers and Bible readings
- background briefings on UKTI and the UK's role in the arms trade.
Alun Morinan, Co-ordinator of CAAT's Christian Network, says:
Jesus and the prophet Ezekiel used parables to warn people about building their security on shaky foundations; the structure will be unsafe and in danger of collapse. Join with us in praying for the demolition of the government's arms promotion unit, UKTI DSO, an unsafe 'structure' that does nothing for peace and security and that should be dismantled as a matter of utmost urgency.
The Day of Prayer is being co-ordinated by Alun Morinan who can be contacted for interview at alun.morinan(at)iop·kcl·ac·uk or ring the CAAT office on 020 7281 0297 or mobile 07990 673 232.
1. Campaign Against Arms Trade (CAAT) works for the reduction and ultimate abolition of the international arms trade together with progressive demilitarisation within arms producing countries. Around 80% of CAAT's funding comes from individual supporters and CAAT is strictly non-violent in all its work.
2. Stop Week begins on Saturday 19 June and will continue until Sunday 27 June. The week will see a variety of activities by anti-arms trade groups around the UK. These include:
East Anglia - Norfolk CAAT will give a visual presentation at the Norwich Peace Camp on Saturday 26 June. CAAT's local group will also lobby their MPs.
Humberside - Hull CAAT will use the week to focus public attention on why UKTI DSO should be demolished and will also lobby local MPs.
London - London CAAT will launch an action on Monday 21 June, whereby they "demolish" UKTI DSO in public view.
North West - CAAT supporters in Macclesfield will hold an information stall in Macclesfield on Saturday 19 June inviting passersby to sign a UKTI demolition order.
Scotland - Edinburgh CAAT will hold a stall in Princess Street on Thursday 17 June and will host a week-long display at Edinburgh Peace and Justice Centre, while encouraging people to write to their MPs.
South East - Kingston Peace Group will hold a stall in Kingston town centre on Saturday 19 June and will lobby local MPs, including Vince Cable.
Wales - Penarth CAAT will organise an information stand with a giant demolition order for UKTI DSO in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan, on Saturday 26 June.
West Country - In Trowbridge leaflets on UKTI DSO will be distributed from a Peace Table on 25 and 26 June the latter is Armed Forces Day.
West Midlands - Birmingham CAAT group will hold an information stall in Birmingham with UKTI demolition orders on Saturday 19 June with a fundraiser at the Moseley Festival on 10 July.